Sunday, November 8, 2015

Kuopio, A City For A Foodie: Visiting Panza And Kauppahuone Gust. Ranin



Kuopio has become a great city for foodies like me. Now, in the city center you can find more than the fantastic Lihapiirakat (meat pies) from Hanna Partanen. Here you can find restaurants for all kind of tastes: Indian, Greek, Nepalese, Italian and of course, Mexican to just mention some of those. The bars and places to go for a drink have increased and modernized since my first visit to Kuopio 10+ years ago. And it looks like the cocktails are back! Sorry, Tom Cruise is not here.

We had a family night out yesterday. Only adults! And we had a very good time enjoying the food and drinks options from my city Kuopio.

First stop: Bar Y Restaurant Panza (Ravintola Panza)

I need to confess that I visit this place often. Literally, I am getting a big “panza” (belly, in Spanish) from their food. This is the closest to Latin American food I can get in town and I like that this place is quite relaxed.
 
The Entrance of Panza Restaurant (Ravintola Panza)
We went there on Saturday at 17:00 as we had also planned to go to see James Bond, 007 Spectre. Location of the restaurant is perfect. When you enter to the place, the aroma starts to hypnotize you right away.

The place is a mix of the typical Mexican elements, very colorful and funny. A little happy place. The waiter came quickly and we ordered mojitos without looking at the list. Oh no! There was no mint. What!! Well, I took a cold Mexican beer instead. Problem solved, it worked, too. We ordered nachos to share and I took the tacos with pork (Panza’s carnitas salsa verde) as main food. 

Oh no! No Mojitos this time. Pic of my previous visit, In memory of the missing mint
I ate the tacos so quickly that I forgot to take a picture, sorry! It looked like my partners in crime, were happy with the food as well. Presentation was good, very street food style. Fresh veggies, very soft and tasty pork and of course, the sauces were all perfect. And eating the warm nachos with the dipping at the same time while we talked about life and enjoyed the atmosphere… what else do you need?

One of the things I like the most about this place is the music. It is a fusion of Latin with a lounge style, but soft enough that you can actually talk to people.  

I took the Panzacota for dessert. I was very surprised that it was completely different than the Panzacota I ate two weeks ago when I was visiting there with a friend. No complains, this was better. The fresh berries on the top make me feel as “Yes, I can survive November in Finland. Again”.



I have heard about this place before but, I visited yesterday for first time. Busy fall! It is a small lounge in the city center. The decoration is amazing; a combination of old style with a modern twist. From the marketing perspective, the products and ads were perfectly located. You know those are there but, it does not bother you. 

Loimu Glögi
This is a cocktails place and you can find as well Glögi which is the typical Christmas drink in Finland (or should I say fall-winter drink?). I love the cocktails selection, they use Finnish nature products such as berries. This time I just took the Glögi. It was excellent. We thought that this can be a perfect Christmas present for some friend. From Kuopio with love...
 
Great service but. where is Tom Cruise?
I like so much the concept I needed to check their website. For sure you will enjoy their videos, too. This one, Gustav dance  for example, describes the Finnish culture very well. Too many cocktails for him or what?
 
Both places were full when we were there. So glad that the Kuopiolaiset (people from Kuopio) are supporting these initiatives. Long lives to these places!

No comments:

Post a Comment