Monday, November 2, 2015

Marketing Belongs To All!


I always have seen myself as a person with a marketing and communication mentality. I recognized this inclination already when I was in high school. I was already fluent communicating with people and putting ideas together to promote things. I had no problem saying things directly, or trying to persuade people. When my classmates were suffering during the school presentations, I just felt like partying every time one of my teachers said we needed to present something. Honestly, I have always seen marketing and communications as essential part of my daily life. As older as I get, as more convinced I get about this.

If you take the time to look around, you will notice that we need marketing for everything in our lives: for starting relationships, for getting a job and a promotion, or for selling our products, etc. So, why is there only one marketing person in your small company or one marketing team? Why, if marketing is so important, is this responsible so exclusive? 

I have worked with different kind of people, in very international contexts. I always have found somebody who believes that marketing is not part of his/her role. I have heard too many times expressions such as “this is not my responsibility, this is marketing”. It annoys me.

Marketing is not an exclusive role for marketing people. We all know that a company is not going to survive without marketing, therefore, marketing should be a development area in different areas of the organization. What about if every employee can make a contribution? The CEO is not the exclusive marketing owner, either. Marketing belongs to all of us! So we all should have the right and the obligation to do a bit of marketing for our company.

Even if you are outsourcing marketing, you cannot wash your hands completely. You need to have your own troops inside the organization ready to do marketing; ready to work together to promote your company, to share your employer branding and to try to sell more.

Marketing is also seen in small daily acts. Marketing encompasses our attitudes, experiences, and behaviors. Marketing is how we talk about our company and about our products. Marketing is recommending our workplace and our colleagues, too. That been said, Marketing is a skill that we all need

Marketing is essential to building relationships. Relationships are essential to do business because people prefer to do business with people they know, like and trust. We need relationships to develop all our products, to sell our products, to send those to our customers and even to follow up how the product works after the delivery. Marketing is all we do.
Don’t underestimate the marketing skills your entire team should have to take your company to the next level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment